Guest Blog by Janvi Chitalia (Interactive Gut Microbiome Health Coach & Functional Medicine Nutritionist
LOW STOMACH ACID AND APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
WHAT IS LOW STOMACH ACID OR HYPOCHLORHYDRIA
- If there is insufficient stomach acid, normal digestion and absorption of nutrients may be compromised, leading to discomfort, malnutrition, and bacterial overgrowth. This is a case of hypochlorhydria, or low stomach acid.
- Undigested food ferments in the small intestine as a result of undigested food. Low stomach acid also makes you prone to the proliferation of other common bacteria, such as helicobacter pylori, which is linked to chronic gastritis and peptic ulcer disease.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF LOW STOMACH ACID OR HYPOCHLORHYDRIA
- Age: Studies show people aged over 65 years are most likely to suffer from hypochlorhydria. As you age pepsin output decreases which serve to digest protein.
- High-stress levels: During stress, the body shut down the production of stomach acid and increases cortisol levels.
- Deficiency of vitamins: Many nutrients are important for maintaining stomach acid levels. Vitamin B12 plays a very vital role.
- Long-term use of antacids and antibiotics decreases stomach acid production.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF HYPOCHLORHYDRIA
- Acid reflux
- Undigested food in stool
- Bloating or abdominal cramps
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Chronic fatigue
- Food sensitivity
- Dry skin
- Some people have acid reflux in everyday life due to too little or very little stomach acid. The acetic acid present in vinegar aids in the battle against foreign invaders and germs.
- Apple cider vinegar increases the amount of acid in the digestive system. Heartburn is caused by stomach acid contents moving up into the oesophagus instead of going down to its bowel movement. Because the oesophagus normally does not have acid, this further irritates the areas of the oesophagus, resulting in symptoms such as a burning sensation in the chest, a sour taste in the mouth, and bloating.
OTHER BENEFITS OF APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- Helps with weight loss
- Works well on acid reflux
- Improves digestion
- Boost immunity
TIPS TO USE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR FOR DIGESTION!
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of room temperature water for improved digestion half an hour before supper.
- It may be used as a salad dressing; add some apple cider vinegar and ground pepper to taste.
- Apple cider vinegar can also be taken in capsule form, which travels via the oesophagus and dissolves in the stomach. For persons who suffer from heartburn, capsules are advised over liquids since liquids can irritate the stomach lining and induce a burning sensation. Taking 1 pill of apple cider vinegar 20 minutes before meals improves digestion, boosts enzymatic reactivity, and stimulates appetite.
About the guest: Janvi is an Interactive Gut Microbiome Health Coach and Functional Medicine Nutritionist. Her expertise lies in Gut health-related issues, and she works on the root cause of any medical issue through the approach of gut healing. She believes that Gut health is the root cause of all diseases. Janvi uses a scientific based 5 R process which facilitates a long-term resolution of any gut issues through the process of Remove, Replace, Re-inoculate, Repair and Rebalance as 5 pillars of the healing program.